Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 22:22:12 +0200
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 04:04:16PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 09:52:28PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > >And, in Greg's defense, he provided some code, something no
> > >one of us did -- I'd say this round goes to him ;-)
> >
> > How? The OP request was for something simpler than SQL [...]
>
> Whatever. I was a bit tongue-in-cheek anyway, illustrated by
> emoticon.
>
> Far more "interesting" proposals have crossed this thread,
> including a full LAMP stack (witt PHP to learn, a web server
> to administer and a browser to eat all available RAM -- uh
> as a client). You jumped at Tcl, which somehow suggests you
> have some peeve with it. /My/ peeve is "don't do that", so
> I jumped at it, hopefully in a sufficiently humorous way to
> not hurt anyone.
>
> The OP is old enough to pick and choose.
>
> Or something. But don't take me too seriously.

In a forum like this it *is* appropriate to suggest alternatives that
don't fully answer the question as asked, as it is archived and
available publicly. Not all questions posed, along with their
constraints, have a practical answer, and questions often have
constraints which become irrelevant if an alternative view is taken.

And if not exposed to the Net, a web server doesn't need much
administration. If you want a Net presence, hire it, let someone else
worry about getting hacked.

--
Joe