Re: Very old hardware...

On Sun 05 Jul 2020 at 12:06:12 (+0200), deloptes wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
>
> > I was under the impression that i586 was a Debian invention for
> > kernels that had been termed i486, in order to prevent the impression
> > that they would run on 486 hardware (as they had done previously).
> >
> > I would expect a 700MHz Pentium III to run a 686 kernel.
> > My 650MHz Pentium III (Coppermine) runs buster with the kernel in
> > linux-image-4.19.0-9-686-pae_4.19.118-2+deb10u1_i386.deb
>
> I am not sure - this is what I am saying with those links.
>
> In wheezy
>
> Nearly all x86-based (IA-32) processors still in use in personal computers
> are supported, including all varieties of Intel's "Pentium" series.
> https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/i386/ch02s01.html.en
>
> But this statement is missing later (especially the last part regarding
> Pentium series)
>
> How I know this - some years ago I had to start building kernel for Geode,
> because it is i586. And reading around noticed the notification that older
> models are not supported by default debian kernel.
>
> This means that OP has to build kernel to run it. In such case I debootstrap
> debian and install the custom kernel.

The lone word "Pentium" can be confusing in this context, as it covers
many lines of processors stretching back 25 years. The OP wrote at the
start of the OP:

   "Good evening Debian User, I have found an old PC with these specs:
    CPU: Pentium III 700 Mhz;"

The only Pentium III older than my own is the Katmai, and it could
only be cranked up to 600MHz. By the time jessie was released, my
Coppermine was the oldest processor I still ran, so I didn't check
whether Katmai, which had design compromises related to its Pentium II
heritage, fell below the bar.

I don't know whether all III models, particularly the mobiles,
support pae, but there are still non-pae kernels in Debian.
My worry is not the processor but the amount of memory. It might
be easy to pick up more via the web.

> As people suggested it is not worth the power it consumes. For 35-50$ you
> have a low power device with more computing power, but of course you decide
> what to do with your hardware and electricity bills.

I can't speak for the OP. My own PC consumes ~50mA idling, ~300mA
when busy. That's without the monitor, which is normally switched off
(hard switch) because I use ssh. (Those were measured at 220V.)

Most of the time in summer the PC too is switched off (hard),
with 80s ambient temperature. In winter, I leave it on more,
as any warmth is appreciated. (OK, I'll grant you, it's consuming
electricity rather than gas, increasing the financial cost.)

As for buying more computing power, what would I use it for—I already
have a laptop and desktop (both i5, 4 processors) that provide ample.

Cheers,
David.