Re: Very old hardware...

My DOS/Linux dual-boot at home was constructed from spare parts, including a cast-off Dell motherboard from work that is old enough to support two physical floppy drives (it has a 360k and a 1.44M).

It runs IBM PC-DOS 2000 (lightning fast), with DOSSHELL, WordPerfect 5.1, Quattro, and Xerox Ventura Publisher (DOS/GEM Edition).

And it runs Ubuntu Hardy Heron, with a fairly old version of Gnome. Perhaps if I were configuring the Linux side of it today, I might have used Debian, and consulted this List for guidance.

It does NOT run WinDoze, and neither does my PC-DOS 2000 notebook (a 486). I don't allow WinDoze in the house.

And as to computer museums, I highly recommend the CHM, in Mountain View, CA. The only real fault I've ever found with it is that they did not see fit to include an IBM Merlin (neither a drive, nor even a pack) in their early removable-pack hard drive exhibit.

--
James H. H. Lampert