Re: Very old hardware...

Hi,

David Wright wrote:
> > > My 650MHz Pentium III (Coppermine) [...]
> consumes ~50mA idling, ~300mA when busy. [...] at 220V

11 to 66 Watt. That's unusual for a full size PC of that time.
I knew some which issued 10 Watts already by noise power and could
heat a small sized office room in winter.

Google ...
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III
22.41 Watt of TDP. That's about the same as with one 3.5 GHz Xeon core.
But i'd say the Xeon core is about 20 times more powerful (64 vs. 32 bit,
factor 5 of frequency, two hyperthreads).

I am still astonished about the ratio of 1 : 6 of idle : busy.
Some other component besides the CPU must be very good in saving power
when idle. And the idle situation must be really boring ...

Have a nice day :)

Thomas