Re: Very old hardware...

but it has only 64M memory
and buster needs 400M

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s05.en.html
On Sunday, July 5, 2020, 11:04:08 AM EDT, Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> wrote:

On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 12:06 +0200, deloptes wrote:

> David Wright wrote:
>
> > I was under the impression that i586 was a Debian invention for
> > kernels that had been termed i486, in order to prevent the impression
> > that they would run on 486 hardware (as they had done previously).
> >
> > I would expect a 700MHz Pentium III to run a 686 kernel.
> > My 650MHz Pentium III (Coppermine) runs buster with the kernel in
> > linux-image-4.19.0-9-686-pae_4.19.118-2+deb10u1_i386.deb
> >

> I am not sure - this is what I am saying with those links.
>
> In wheezy
>
> Nearly all x86-based (IA-32) processors still in use in personal computers
> are supported, including all varieties of Intel's "Pentium" series.
> https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/i386/ch02s01.html.en
>
> But this statement is missing later (especially the last part regarding
> Pentium series)
>
> How I know this - some years ago I had to start building kernel for Geode,
> because it is i586. And reading around noticed the notification that older
> models are not supported by default debian kernel.
>
> This means that OP has to build kernel to run it.

Except that in David's post you quoted, he said he's running a Buster
kernel on his Pentium III (same CPU series as the OP said he had).

Also, the release notes for Buster mention in section 5.1.10. that
WebKit2GTK required SSE2 support so will crash on Pentium III or Geode.
It also says 'The first update of webkit2gtk in buster is expected to
restore support for these systems'

So it's obvious that Buster in general works on Pentium III, and the OP
can expect it to install and work if they want to try. No custom
kernels needed.

--
Tixy