Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:45:48 +0300
Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 01:27:05AM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> > > I'll be original here. Try SunFire X-series (aka SunServer X). Somewhat
> > > costly, and the hardware quality is a hit or miss in newer models, but
> > > runs Debian stable like it was designed for it.
> >
> > I'm a little unclear what you're suggesting here - Sun Fire and Sun
> > Server seem to be both retired names (according to Wikipedia, anyway ...)
>
> I'm suggesting x86-64 Intel server with an Oracle logo on it.
> I agree to call it whatever they call it at Oracle these days be it
> SunFire, SunServer or whatever.
> Whenever said server(s) will be bought from the Oracle, a certain
> partners or, say, Ebay - I don't see how it can be relevant here.
>

> > Are you suggesting Oracle servers in general?
>
> Yep. I can say a lot of bad things about HPE hardware (but I won't, it'll
> be off-topic), and I can't say anything good about Lenovo (those IBM
> X-series were not bad, but it was a long time ago). Also, last one is a
> political thing, and this list is an unsuitable place for discussing
> political things.
> I could also mention Huawei, but I won't - it's a political thing too.
> Oracle servers (five years ago, at least) tend to Just Work™, barring
> that usual "half-year after the purchase" time period.
>
> Anything else is at least one tier lower so why bother discussing it?

What do you have against Dell? Everything I've read indicates that
their enterprise gear is very good, and quite affordable, particularly
on the second-hand market. I have very limited experience in this area,
but I've been running Debian on a used R210 II for a while and it has
been rock solid.

Celejar