Re: waaay offtopic

On Fri, 29 May 2020 13:21:45 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Friday 29 May 2020 13:00:58 David Wright wrote:

> > > Gene mentioned several times (in completely unrelated threads)
> > > that he keeps the wireless turned off, because apparently his
> > > neighbour is able to steal his internet more or less instantly.
> > >
> > > No mention whatsoever was made about what (if any!) wireless
> > > security option is in use. It might as well have been WEP (which
> > > is known to be crackable for many years now) or none.
> > >
> > > Or it might have been some incompetent or malicious[1] website
> > > using up Gene's internet and the neighbour is inocent. Or a
> > > download script stuck in a loop, or... etc.
> > >
> > > Occam's razor suggests Gene will be just fine with WPA2-PSK.
> > >
> > > [1] see Hanlon's razor
> >
> > Perhaps something is explained by
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/05/msg01315.html
> > but I couldn't understand any of
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/05/msg00736.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David.
>
> Obviously then you have never "reset" firefox.  That makes it a brand
> new install, clearing ALL your passwds and logins and restoring ALL
> its defaults. I still do not have full access to my bank although
> online purchases are working. It did NOT warn me of that 'side'
> effect.  So yes, I'm pi$$ed, I've had to do new passwd resets at all
> the places I do business with. And while chromium has remembered a
> few of the renewed ones, it is not saving them all. And I've yet to
> decipher why.  So I need to pull down a whole slew of post-it notes
> and put up new ones.

I'm using a password manager (KeePass2) with database backups rather
than having a browser save them. I always consider all browsers to have
fallen into enemy hands...

You might try installing Midori as a backup. It's not nearly as capable
as Firefox, but it can deal with many JS-based sites. I keep it because
I've known it to render sites that Firefox was having trouble with.
Comes with DuckDuckGo as default search, but that's easy to change.

--
Joe