Re: waaay offtopic

On Fri, 29 May 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Friday 29 May 2020 15:50:38 David Wright wrote:

On Fri 29 May 2020 at 13:21:45 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 29 May 2020 13:00:58 David Wright wrote:
On Fri 29 May 2020 at 18:49:26 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Vi, 29 mai 20, 14:26:25, Joe wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2020 15:25:16 +0300 Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
And what would the advantage of RADIUS be over WAP2-PSK, for
Gene's use-case?

I believe he is using passwords and his unwanted user can
crack them. I agree it isn't clear whether he is using WPA or
WPA2. I don't know the current state of play with cracking
WPA2-PSK.

Gene mentioned several times (in completely unrelated threads)
that he keeps the wireless turned off, because apparently his
neighbour is able to steal his internet more or less instantly.

No mention whatsoever was made about what (if any!) wireless
security option is in use. It might as well have been WEP (which
is known to be crackable for many years now) or none.

Or it might have been some incompetent or malicious[1] website
using up Gene's internet and the neighbour is inocent. Or a
download script stuck in a loop, or... etc.

Occam's razor suggests Gene will be just fine with WPA2-PSK.

[1] see Hanlon's razor

Perhaps something is explained by
but I couldn't understand any of

Obviously then you have never "reset" firefox.  That makes it a
brand new install, clearing ALL your passwds and logins and
restoring ALL its defaults. I still do not have full access to my
bank although online purchases are working. It did NOT warn me of
that 'side' effect.  So yes, I'm pi$$ed, I've had to do new passwd
resets at all the places I do business with. And while chromium has
remembered a few of the renewed ones, it is not saving them all. And
I've yet to decipher why.  So I need to pull down a whole slew of
post-it notes and put up new ones.

What does this have to do with your router and wifi security, which
was being discussed—why does FF have anything to do with that.

Because that was where the routers username and passwd were stored.

The Tragedy of Pudd’nhead Wilson by Mark Twain | Ch. XV, 2nd epigraph
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/102/102-h/102-h.htm#link2HCH0015

 Behold, the fool saith, "Put not all thine eggs in the one basket"---

 which is but a manner of saying, "Scatter your money and your
 attention";

 but the wise man saith, "Put all your eggs in the one basket and---

 WATCH THAT BASKET."

--
 The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
 When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the state of Illinois,