Re: Can't get started

On Fri 29 May 2020 at 18:53:10 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 29 mai 20, 09:29:26, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > In the second half, I wasn't doubting that static would technically
> > function, but that almost any user would be unsatisfied by a tablet
> > or laptop with a statically configured wifi connection. It "works"
> > about as well as locking one's OAP bus pass in a safe deposit box
> > at the local bank.
>
> The settings are *per wireless network*, so by default one gets DHCP for
> every new/other network, even if e.g. the wireless at home is configured
> for static IP.

I'm not sure which default you mean.

The OP appears to have installed Debian onto a laptop from a netinst CD
via wifi. (With ethernet, the problems would not arise. [pace Charles])
No idea how much software was installed in d-i itself, but ifupdown
should always be present, and was likely used during installation.
However, at the end if the d-i, (disclaimers as always), that
configuration is removed, so the information may have to be reentered.
That's what

allow-hotplug wlp3s0
iface wlp3s0 inet dhcp
      wpa-ssid YOUR-WIFI-SSID
      wpa-psk  YOUR-WIFI-PASSWORD

does. We were told "wlp3s0", we know the OP knows YOUR-WIFI-SSID, and
there's no YOUR-WIFI-PASSWORD. (I didn't know about any no-password bug.)
For most, if not all, network configuration software, a stanza in
/e/n/i will prioritize ifupdown. (I can't speak for systemd: it gets
it hopelessly wrong with system timekeeping.)

To avoid starting over, I've suggested how to find whether and which
firmware might be required, asked for the name of the original .iso,
and fixed the /e/n/i for wifi in case there's no other configurator.
(I haven't seen any evidence of a fight over the network's configuration.)

I've yet to see any virtue in using a static configuration¹ at home
and dhcp everywhere else. And I can't suggest a stanza for /e/n/i
as I have no idea how their network is numbered. So I don't see any
point in putting a static configuration into /e/n/i, or even learning
about it. You can't do it anywhere else.

However, the only other suggestions I've seen so far are to start
over, so perhaps others can take over here. I've forgotten whether
there are any wrinkles with installing from CD sets or DVDs; it's
too long ago.

¹ Static, that is, from the point of view of the PC. I use static
IP numbers, but they're issued by the router, which makes spotting
any interlopers easier (assuming you reserve a range for
"foreign" assignment).

Cheers,
David.