Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Tue 21 Apr 2020 at 20:07:55 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Tue 21 Apr 2020 at 11:18:14 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:35:00PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > > I don't know what the writer of those two sentences meant by
> > > structure, but I specifically mentioned the Discussion page
> > > (≡ Wikipedia's Talk page) which I think is an important
> > > factor in improving content.
> >
> > At some point a long time ago, the Debian Wiki administrators (at the
> > time) decided to direct meta-discussions towards the debian-www@ mailing
> > list, instead of Discussion pages. I think this was a mistake, and it's
> > something I've been wanting to push back on for some time, but it hasn't
> > raised up my TODO list far enough.
>
> I do not have a TODO list, but pushing all wiki issues onto debian-www
> probably wasn't the best of ideas. It seems to me that discourse would
> be a good place to put them.
>
> At the same time, what is the point of discusssion? A user thinks a
> technical point on the wiki is wrong; they know it is wrong; they change
> it. Where's the problem?

1. Going from thinking to knowing. Even assuming they're well-informed,
it may be worth checking with other people running different systems
about what's wrong, and what the new text should say.

2. Pages often need more than just piecemeal corrections: they may
need someone with a sense of ownership to restructure them, or even
to coordinate a rewrite when they lose focus.

Cheers,
David.