Persistent sshfs mount from inside a Buster virtual machine?

I've on-again/off-again approached a project to move away from
VirtualBox for some daily software builds to a VM run from Qemu.  The
issue I am having is maintaining a persistent sshfs mount from inside of
the guest.  This particular VM will mount the shared directories via
sshfs at system start but five minutes later systemd inside the VM
cheerfully removes the mount!

This started after I attempted to use systemd to create the mount first
as a system service and then I scrapped that and chose to create the
mount as a user service.  That is when I ran into the five minute
timeout.  Even after disabling and removing all custom files related to
the system and user mount services, the five minute timeout remains even
when I setup the sshfs mount manually.  If I cd into the mount, then it
appears to remain mounted.  Curiously, in another Buster VM where I did
not attempt to setup a systemd service will leave the mount(s) active
indefinitely.

I've yet to figure out where systemd gets this five minute timeout
period.  Since it has been a few weeks since I've last tinkered with
this, I'll have to get back into it to capture the scant log output that
exists.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB