Re: Buster System hangs, requires hard reboot

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 06:50:03PM -0600, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 4/21/20 1:05 PM, deloptes wrote:
> > tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> >> No, but a connector. And depending on the mechanical environment,
> >> those sometimes loosen too.
> >
> > Yes noticed on few that if disk is not mounted properly it starts sliding
> > out. So reinserting the disk after checking connector states and mounting
> > it properly could be leading to such problems in theory.
> >

> Even with the service manual, I am totally intimidated by the fragile,
> paper-thin components in modern laptops.  I was unable to disconnect the
> drive cable from the board; did not want to exert excess pressure.

I know. You need the right combo of determination and patience. And
then, you still sometimes break things :-)

I have little choice, because, among my friends, I'm the "computer guy"
and don't want to disappoint them. So I get some practice...

>                                                                    So I
> was unable to get to the disk itself to remove/reinsert it.  But I was
> able to press hard on the cable connector, if that makes any difference
> to the existing connection.  A service visit is probably going to be
> needed for this.

Next time you get a refurbished Thinkpad. Extracting hard disk is just
one screw :-)

> I received a private email about using smartctl, but as mentioned in my
> original post, weekly long tests and drive error logs show no errors at all.

I see. Tom Dial has posted something to the same effect. His observation
that the errors seem to cluster about repeated inodes hints at a faulty
(part of) the hard disk (unless it's just a statistical thing about your
operating system always hitting the same small set of files).

> Thanks for your help guys!

You're welcome!

Cheers
-- t