Re: Buster System hangs, requires hard reboot

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 08:33:18PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> >> How old, and what color are your sata cables? [...]
> >
> > I know you like the red ones :-)
> >
> > But this is a laptop, so...
> >
> > That said, given the log errors, I'd try first to reseat, then to
> > change the laptop's disk. This looks like flaky connector/hardware
>
> But this is laptop - what kind of sata cable do you have there? None!

No, but a connector. And depending on the mechanical environment,
those sometimes loosen too.

> This notebook if not in warranty needs being opened up and inspected in
> detail. Perhaps first try replacing the disk only.

Given a good backup (!) taking out & reseating the disk is halfway to
replacing, that's why I recommended that first. Of course, if the
laptop is so critical that you can't afford taking that chance...

> Such errors are common for spinning disks. Can't imagine newer notebooks
> have such anymore, but who knows.

I'd expect an error in the disk itself to be more persistent, but that
kind of errors can be idiosyncratic indeed. Some off-spec thing getting
triggered by low voltage; temperature; whatnot.

> The others (SDD) usually just die, but could be also there a bad capacitor
> or whatever.

Exactly: it's a whatever :)

Cheers
-- t