(solved - part 2) Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 at 18:32, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
Beco wrote:
> Yes, this test indeed solved the "9" becoming a dash.
>
> I could let that as is, but after many years using linux I learned that the
> less you personalize your system, the less headache you will have in the
> future.
>
> So, how can I undo some probable mistake in my system and get it back to
> what it is like when first installed?
>
> Is there a debian package for Lucida Grande. I know I've tried to install
> many out-of-repositories alternatives for Lucida Grande that I'm willing to
> remove them all.

Sorry, there is not. Lucida Grande is a variant of Lucida Sans that
Apple commissioned and holds the copyright on.

It's very likely that one of those out-of-repo alternatives is
causing your problem; left to its own devices, the X11 font
system will look for a reasonable match when it doesn't have
precisely the font asked for. The fontconfig trick that I showed
you is the proper way to inform it of a user preference; it is
probably overriding something claiming to be Lucida Grande but
with a poor excuse for a 9 glyph.

Remove all the alternatives, and it should cope well enough.

-dsr-

Dan,

I removed all Lucida crap from my system, and then I also removed that small hack from
~/.fonts.conf

It is working ok now.

It is using an automatic alternative in the absence of Lucida Grande.
I can't say exactly what font it is using, but it is probably  what is configured as firefox default (Dejavu Sans).

(That trick with firefox console don't show the actual font, only the one chosen by the webmaster)

So, as a (second) solution, now I would again try to finish this thread with (solved). In summary:

Do not install crap Lucida Grande fonts on your system.

If I find a better solution on days to come, I reply to this email.

Att.,

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09