Re: Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

On 2020-04-04 10:57, Bernard wrote:

Le 04/04/2020 18:16, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
On Sb, 04 apr 20, 11:00:06, Bernard wrote:
Thanks a lot for this reply

The output of the proposed tests are shown on the following screen picture :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0906.jpg

Please post also the contents of /etc/fstab.

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0907.jpg

It's curious that fdisk shows sdb has no partition at all. Is this
expected or does sdb contain your /home?

There is no mystery about sdb ; I should have mentioned it before. This is an additional disk ; my desktop has two hard drives. This extra one had no part in the install process, I only used it later on as an extension to save files, I mount it manually every time I want to use it. I didn't see any point to partition it. I successfully mounted it in my recovery boot, and everything seemed to be OK at first sight.

Regards,

Bernard

To be blunt, if you just want to use video conferencing and not learn how video conferencing works (or does not work) on Linux, I would use Windows or macOS.

As for the broken Debian computer, I would back up the data, install a small SSD, install Debian, wipe the 1 TB drives, create an md mirror, create an ext4 file system, restore the data, install Samba, and share the data.

It is useful to have a USB flash drive with Debian installed on it, to use as tool for working on other computers.

It is useful to maintain a folder in a version control system for each host, with an administrator journal (plain text file), system configuration files, and anything else useful for setup, configuration, and maintenance. I use Vim and CVS over SSH.

David