Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco wrote:
> Yes, this test indeed solved the "9" becoming a dash.
>
> I could let that as is, but after many years using linux I learned that the
> less you personalize your system, the less headache you will have in the
> future.
>
> So, how can I undo some probable mistake in my system and get it back to
> what it is like when first installed?
>
> Is there a debian package for Lucida Grande. I know I've tried to install
> many out-of-repositories alternatives for Lucida Grande that I'm willing to
> remove them all.

Sorry, there is not. Lucida Grande is a variant of Lucida Sans that
Apple commissioned and holds the copyright on.

It's very likely that one of those out-of-repo alternatives is
causing your problem; left to its own devices, the X11 font
system will look for a reasonable match when it doesn't have
precisely the font asked for. The fontconfig trick that I showed
you is the proper way to inform it of a user preference; it is
probably overriding something claiming to be Lucida Grande but
with a poor excuse for a 9 glyph.

Remove all the alternatives, and it should cope well enough.

-dsr-