Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Dear Dan,

Yes, this test indeed solved the "9" becoming a dash.

I could let that as is, but after many years using linux I learned that the less you personalize your system, the less headache you will have in the future.

So, how can I undo some probable mistake in my system and get it back to what it is like when first installed?

Is there a debian package for Lucida Grande. I know I've tried to install many out-of-repositories alternatives for Lucida Grande that I'm willing to remove them all.

Thanks,

Béco

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 at 12:58, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
Beco wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 20:03, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
>
> > Beco wrote:
> > > Guess I was wrong. The problem persists, now it looks like the problem is
> > > Helvetica.
> > >
> > > I found this link:
> > >
> > > https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2120514?hl=en
> > >
> > > I don't use chrome, I use firefox. But it appears that the problem
> > happens
> > > in both browsers.
> > >
> > > Still a mystery.
> >

> > Open up the offending page in Firefox. Find a paragraph where
> > the 9 is missing.
> >
> > Use the three-bar menu, Web Developer, Inspector. That should
> > open up a debugging console underneath the webpage.
> >
> > On the left of the debugging console you should see a tree of
> > HTML elements. When you mouse over them, they will be
> > highlighted and so will the relevant portion of the page. Some
> > parts of the tree might be folded down into triangles, which you
> > can open up.
> >
> > Find the smallest element that contains the 9. Click on it in
> > the tree to select it.
> >
> > Now look over at the right side of the debugging console.
> > There's a Fonts tab. It will show you the precise font being
> > used.
> >
> > That is your culprit. Tell us and we'll see if we can help you
> > remove it.
> >
> > -dsr-
> >

> Thanks Dan,
>
> Did that. Still Lucida Grande.
>
> I failed to install this font like 3 times from 3 different download sites.
>
> Any official debian solution to it?

Let's try substitution at the X11 layer.

This syntax in your ~/.fonts.conf will change the response for one
font into an answer from another:

<alias>
 <family>Lucida Grande</family>
 <prefer>
  <family>DejaVu Sans</family>
 </prefer>
</alias>

Add as many stanzas as you like; then run fc-cache and restart
your application.

-dsr-

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09