Re: HPLIP - upgrade to 3.20.2 and can no longer print. (version corrected)

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 08:59:06PM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 19:58:52 +0000
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> >nc YOUR_PRINTER'S_IP_ADDRESS 631 < out.dat
>
> Results in the following being output to the command line;
>
> HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
> Connection: close
> Server: HP HTTP Server; HP Officejet 6700 - CN583A; Serial Number:
> CN33RBQHFG05RQ; Margarita_premium_mp2 Built:Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55:54PM
> {MPM3CN1827DR, ASIC id 0x003a0008}

My fault entirely. The port number is 9100, not 631. I always make a
slip up along the way with things like this :). I am assuming the device
has an open port 9100; most HP printers do. You can check with

  nmap YOUR_PRINTER'S_IP_ADDRESS

Port 631 is for IPP and a protocol exchange is expected. netcat doesn't
use any protocols, apart from tcp/ip. It simply shovels the data over
the wire and hopes for the best. No wonder Margarita was confused.

> That snippet is output to the command line multiple (nine, in fact)
> times, and does not return to the command prompt.  I had to <Ctrl>-C to
> exit.  Nothing is printed by the printer.  In fact, the printer's
> display doesn't illuminate as it did when trying to print from within
> (say) LibreOffice.
>
> I confirmed the IP address of the printer was correct by copying/pasting
> into a browser and loading the printer's internal web page.

Telling us that helped a lot.

> HPLIP 3.20.2 is still installed, BTW.

It wasn't involved here but its best to keep it about for now, if it
suits you.

--
Brian.