Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

On 5/03/20 4:32 am, Cichas wrote:
> Hello guys,
> sorry if this is documented somewhere but today I decided to ask here as
> it is something fundamental I cannot understand. After 20 years I
> decided to try Debian again (as VM for start). I am installing it from
> debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso. As it is in remote location with
> problematic Internet access I wanted to do offline install. After
> several attempts I figured out that it is not possible to install SSH
> server from "Install" menu (text mode) if I will do it as offline
> install without allowing to use mirror. Which makes no sense. If I have
> Internet access then I can do easy apt-get update && apt install
> openssh-server so no need to install it from install menu. But when I
> have no Internet then I will end with machine without any remote access
> and no easy way to fix that. I have checked the ISO image and SSH server
> should be on it
> (/pool/main/o/openssh/openssh-server_7.9p1-10+deb10u2_amd64.deb) so
> that's also not reason why it is not offered to install it without
> allowing mirror.
>
> Software selection screens:
> Offline (not selecting the mirror):
> https://paste.pics/207074a621d7329f025a519e8d835363
> Online: https://paste.pics/a5401240d365799e2b7768e009c8dec8

When you say offline, do you just mean that you're not selecting a
mirror? Or do you mean that you're not connected to the Internet at all?
I could see that it might decide not to bother with networking software
if there's no network - but I haven't done a CD-only installation in
years; I normally use netinst.

And when you say it's remote - do you mean you're connecting to it
remotely somehow, or just that it's a long way from the rest of the
world, but you're still sitting in front of it?

Richard