Re: set gnome locales to C.UTF-8

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 12:32:00PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 28, 2020 11:09:23 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 11:00:58AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Do you (or does anyone else) know if KDE works in a manner similar to
> > > GNOME, or is it more like the traditional X11 setup?
> >
> > If you're actually using KDE, you could find out for yourself by
> > trying it and seeing what happens.  Granted, logging out and in is
> > annoying, but still... it's by far the most efficient way to get
> > answers.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Well, I am actually using KDE, mostly the version in Wheezy (4.8.4) at this
> point.  (I have a Jessie and a Buster system, but so far, only use those when
> I have a problem in Wheezy.)
>
> I'd need to think about what to look for when I log out and back in (and do
> you mean like in an individual tab in a konsole, or in a new konsole, or
> completely out of KDE and back in?)
>
> Or some suggestions on what to look for.

Whatever it is that you wanted to know.

E.g. if you were wondering "Can I set umask 002 for my entire session,
both terminals and menu-launched GUI apps?" then you might try setting
umask in whatever place is appropriate (probably ~/.xsessionrc) and
seeing whether it takes effect everywhere.

If you were wondering "Can I set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 together with
LC_TIME=C", then try *that*.

It's a lot faster to try things and see what happens, than to wait for
random people on a mailing list to offer their guesses.