set gnome locales to C.UTF-8

I updated /etc/default/locale, LANG=C.UTF-8, then reboot.

ted@debian:~$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

ted@debian:~$ localectl
   System Locale: LANG=C.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: us
      X11 Layout: us

so my question number 1 is, how come localectl and locale reports are different?

and I traced the processes from parent to child, in /proc/ID/environ:
systemd --user   #LANG=C.UTF-8
gnome-terminal-server   #LANG=en_US.UTF-8, GDM_LANG=en_US.UTF-8
bash   #LANG=en_US.UTF-8, GDM_LANG=en_US.UTF-8

question number 2 is, which config file changed the LANG and added GDM_LANG?

btw, I searched the files in the following locations, either there is no such file or there are no relevant settings in the file:
/usr/lib/systemd/user/
~/.local/share/systemd/user/
/etc/systemd/user/
~/.config/systemd/user/

I also searched in dconf-editor, and changed org.gnome.system.location from custom value en_US.UTF-8 to default. Doesn't help.

Any reference/links about how systemd/gnome environment variable works, and information about locales will be appreciated.

Ted