Re: Net Install: Installation halts for disk change

On 2020-02-27 03:46, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Jo, 27 feb 20, 02:03:56, John Kaufmann wrote:

Distribution directories:

[1] cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/
[2] cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.3.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/

Two pages to serve the same purpose is too much churn. Then look at the /files/ from those two pages:

[1]: [660M] firmware-10.3.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso
[2]: [377M] firmware-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
I'm taking a lesson from this: some cleanup is in order.

The names are quite self-explanatory, one image is for amd64 only (64bit
PCs) and one is for amd64 and i386 (older 32bit-only PCs, or if for some
reason you must install 32bit OS on 64bit hardware).

It might be a good idea to stop building the multiarch image in 2020.
Most users should install amd64 anyway and those that *really* need i386
are likely able to find the correct image anyway.

You are right. In a distribution targeting multi-architectures, I'm sorry that I neglected the special case of the x86/x64 history that makes them such a commonly-needed joint target (as opposed to other architectures). I read carelessly; it's in the first line of each page, under "What in this directory?".

It's no excuse, but page titles (if there must be different pages) could help, as well as a more regular directory tree:
	Why is one page under "cdimage.debian.org/images/.."
	  and the other under "cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.."

If there is demand for combined x86/x64, then that's not a complication. If I have 'fresh-eyes' thoughts about this, they are probably best explored with the Debian CD team, not here. My objective is making distribution as painless as possible; I'm sure they have the same objective, and have given the matter more thought.

Thanks for your clarity, as well as your excellent FAQ page.

Kind regards,
John