Net Install: Installation halts for disk change

For my Thinkpad, I burned CDs with:
	(1) debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
	(2) firmware-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
and	(3) firmware-edu-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso [just in case]

A. Disk (1) begins without problem, then stops for wifi firmware:

"Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. ... The missing firmware files are:
	iwlwifi-8265-{22..36}.ucode
If you have such media available now, insert it and continue."

To my surprise, the CD drive eject button did not work - I had to use a pin to open the tray and replace the CD. Probably as a consequence, the new disc was not read. I tried to get it to read the new disc by unplugging and returning the drive, and it seemed read (judging from drive activity) - but still did not see the files. Finally I left it unplugged for a half hour, then returned it, and it finally did read, as one (or more?) files loaded, then the script moved on.
Next, the install script moved on to "Configure the network", and an error message:

"Network autoconfiguration failed: Your network is probably not using the DHCP protocol. Alternatively, the DHCP server may be slow or some network hardware is not working properly."

So clearly "Configure the network" is about a wired link, not wifi - which makes one wonder: Why did we just pause to get wifi driver files? [I asked this question in another thread, but if anyone wants to answer it here, I would be grateful.]

I ran the script twice from boot -- the first time with the default "Graphical Install", the second time using "Install" for more info -- both times with the same result: Unable to get the CD drive eject to work to change disks. The second time, knowing what was coming, I just skipped that part and the network configured automatically over the cable.

So here is the question: When net installing from CD, what is the anticipated order of operation?  When the script says, "If you have such media available now, insert it and continue", doesn't it expect a CD change? If so, should it not, on a "Yes" answer, either
	 (a) automatically eject the CD or
	 (b) provide a manual eject "button" or
	 (c) at least release the drive so that its own eject button can be used?

John