Re: Net Install: Installation halts for disk change

On Jo, 27 feb 20, 02:03:56, John Kaufmann wrote:
> On 2020-02-26 22:49, Peter Ehlert wrote:

> > > Try it with one of the non-free network install ISOs from
> > > https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/
> > I have been using these: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.3.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/
> Thanks, Peter - but on top of Lee's answer, I'm beginning to get a
> sense that debian.org has /way/ over-complicated the installation
> images. (If the choice of images seems too complicated, that's only
> because it it.)  For example, just look at the pages you and Lee
> referenced:
>
> 	Lee: cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/
> 	You: cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.3.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/
>
> Two pages to serve the same purpose is WAY too much churn. Then look
> at the /files/ from those two pages:
>
> 	Lee's page: [660M] firmware-10.3.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso
> 	Your  page: [377M] firmware-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> It's almost as if two different people (or parties) are taking cracks
> at the same issue simply because no one is in charge to rationalize it
> for the sake of the people who matter: Those who are looking for a way
> to get started on Debian. But it gets even worse: Both pages use the
> SAME boilerplate text above the file links, so it would be easy to
> confuse them. Even someone who has read the instructions
> <https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06.en.html> carefully
> (as I did) has no hint of the unnecessary complications.
>
> There's no reason there should be two places for people to go for the
> same thing. As it happens, the file from your page is the one I had
> already downloaded [(2) above], but even you did not recognize it
> because this has been over-complicated. And looking at both files,
> knowing that they contain much of the same material, I'm inclined to
> think that the other one [at 660M rather than 377M] has been more
> carefully assembled to get as much as practicable onto one
> installation disk.
>
> I'm taking a lesson from this: some cleanup is in order.

The names are quite self-explanatory, one image is for amd64 only (64bit
PCs) and one is for amd64 and i386 (older 32bit-only PCs, or if for some
reason you must install 32bit OS on 64bit hardware).

It might be a good idea to stop building the multiarch image in 2020.
Most users should install amd64 anyway and those that *really* need i386
are likely able to find the correct image anyway.

Kind regards,
Andrei