Re: new, not nice web bots disposal

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 04:40:45PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> My reasoning too. I'd much druther be a black hole that doesn't even have
> any Hawking Radiation.

The bigger the hole, the less Hawking radiation :)

[...]

> In that event, and given that a /24 rule caught them, how many out of
> that /24 get the reject message?

Since the REJECT is part of the TCP connection establishment, only
one is the target of this response (how many actually /can/ see it
in their local segment is anyone's guess, but these days of intelligent
switches, segments tend to be small-ish).

> The iptables docs aren't that talkative... No need to bang on the other
> 255 customers in that block that are not offenders.  That wouldn't be at
> all neighborly. And likely would make the situation much worse.

Go, no: run to your Internet Library [1] and read up until the section
"Connection Establishment" (no worries: it's early in that book).

And for people behind restricted Internets: Wikipedia is downloadable!

Alternatively go to your paper library and present yourself with one
copy of R.W. Stevens "TCP-IP Illustrated". Not the most modern, but
one of the best.

Cheers
-- t