Re: Understanding the two-year release cycle as a desktop user (and a Debian newcomer)

Andrei writes:
> An entire month without security updates is not the best idea in my
> opinion.

I follow the security list and do security updates as required, of
course.  Those rarely (if ever) require full upgrades.  There is no
need to do daily full upgrades just to stay up with security.

> Additionally after a month the upgrade can become quite complex with a
> lot more moving parts, i.e. it will be difficult to tell what broke.

I haven't found it so, but then, as I noted, I run neither KDE nor
Gnome.  It appears to me from watching this list that the practice of
blindly upgrading nightly causes far more problems than it solves.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com