Re: Understanding the two-year release cycle as a desktop user (and a Debian newcomer)

On Ma, 25 feb 20, 19:18:10, John Hasler wrote:
> Sam writes:
> > I will give Testing a spin and will definitely take another look at
> > the Debian derivatives. You also made me admire the Debian community,
> > so that's a big plus on the
> > reasons-why-I-definitely-need-to-switch-to-Debian list :)
>
> A couple of suggestions if you decide to use Testing or Unstable.
>
> Subscribe to the debian-devel list and scan the subject lines often
> enough to be aware of upcoming transitions that might affect you or
> kerfuffles that might make you want to delay upgrading until they are
> resolved.  This doesn't really take much time.
>
> *Don't* "track" Testing or Unstable by upgrading nightly.  I don't
> understand why people want to do this.  A full upgrade (after a test
> upgrade) about once a month is plenty.

An entire month without security updates is not the best idea in my
opinion. Additionally after a month the upgrade can become quite complex
with a lot more moving parts, i.e. it will be difficult to tell what
broke.

Just don't do upgrades right before important deadlines, events,
presentations, etc. Otherwise upgrading every few days up to a week
ensures that your system is reasonably up to date (security) and the
upgrades are not too complex.

> If you have packages you need to have the current release of wait until
> they've been available for a week or so without serious or important
> bugs that would matter to you.  Then do a test upgrade so that you can
> decide whether you can go right ahead, have to do a full upgrade to make
> it work, or perhaps should wait a bit.

Debian testing already has checks and delays in place to filter out
(most of the) problems. Updates fixing security issues are prioritised.

> I've been doing this with Unstable for most of this century with very
> few problems (and none recently).

In both cases (testing and unstable), if the system is in any way
exposed to security threats updating more often than that would be a
good idea.

Kind regards,
Andrei