Re: Ethernet trouble

> And counting interfaces has worked for me for a couple decades, on many
> systems and several OSs.

FWIW, this whole mess exists for the simple reason that there isn't any
kind of "aliasing" available for network interfaces.  When stable names
were added to block devices, it didn't break anything because it was
introduced simply by adding the /dev/disk/by-*/* symlinks.

I wish stable interface names had been added via a similar mechanism
(which of course would have had to be added beforehand).

        Stefan