Ethernet trouble

Buster, SuperMicro box

The labels for my Ethernet ports have changed.

There are 2 ports on this box. They used to be called enp6s0 and enp7s0.
Now they're called enp7s0 and enp8s0 (6, 7, and 8). I've rebooted 3
times, and they don't change.

My /etc/network/interfaces had config info for 6 and 7 -- 6 auto, 7 DHCP.

After boot now, there are no interfaces listed in ifconfig (except lo).
And the routing table is empty. ifconfig -a shows 7 and 8.

When I ifup 6, it says it can't find an interface. ifup 7 configures
correctly as described in the interfaces file -- it DHCPs the WiFi out
in the hall and brings up this end of bridge from Ethernet to the WiFi.

If I change 6 to 7 in the interfaces file, comment out 8, and reboot, 7
configs properly, the way 6 used to.

Changing 7 to 8, uncommenting 8, and ifup'ing 8, gets 8 configured
correctly and connects to the bridge.

Everything seems to work as 7 and 8. But this morning, it was 6 and 7.
My shell scripts are all broken now and I'm afraid that next week, after
I change all my scripts, something will change things back. Or increment
them again.

Anybody have an explanation? Or somewhere I can start looking? Or know
how whatever labels Ethernet ports does it (or why they weren't called 0
and 1 in the first place)?

--
Glenn English