Re: Server hardware advice.

Celejar wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 23:59:44 -0700
> David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> > Get at least four internal SATA 6 Gbps ports -- boot disk, optical disk,
> > two data disks (mirrored).  I prefer six.
>
> Do most people running servers really want / need an optical disk? As
> long as the machine can boot via USB, is an optical disk really
> important for a server?

> > Then Intel stopped making desktop boards and I wanted ZFS. ZFS wants
> > ECC memory.  It was time to migrate to server hardware.
>
> My understanding is that ZFS's need / desire for ECC is something of a
> myth. It's certainly true that many ZFS / FreeNAS *users* have such a
> need, but the filesystem itself apparently doesn't:
>
> https://jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/

To summarize: if you're running ZFS, it can protect you from
lots of sources of data corruption. It can't protect you from
RAM errors without ECC, so you should opt for ECC if integrity
is your goal.

None of the other filesystems protect you against RAM errors
either, so this is not a special requirement of ZFS.

-dsr-