Re: Helpful attitude (was: Server hardware advice.)

On 2019-08-08, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

>> I think you are missing the point: When someone asks a question on this
>> list, then that someone gets to decide what the question is.
>
> Sure. But they also bear the burden of communicating precisely
> what it is that they are asking for, and accepting that some
> advice is even valuable!

The questioner gets to decide what the question is, and the
answerer gets to decide what the answer is.

The former taken to facetious extremes is epitomized by you-know-who,
and the outer limit of the latter is occupied by the old-timer who
advises a person wanting to get printing working again in kmail (for
example) to just use Mutt.

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan