Re: sending mail via a script

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 10:26:04 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user@dow.land> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 10:01:00AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> >I'm considering using something like a Raspberry Pi when the current
> >HP Microserver dies, but I'm not sure it will be a lot cheaper to
> >run, given that it will need external hard drives and an external
> >Ethernet port.
>
> Depending on why you feel you'd need an external Ethernet port, the
> Pi 4 might address that issue for you (it's no longer wired over the
> USB bus)

It's my main firewall, as I have little control over the ISP-supplied
router.

> I'm reminded that I have never properly measured the power
> consumption of my always-on NAS: I built it to be low power and I've
> connected it via a watt-meter but I haven't ever read the manual for
> how to use the meter (or looked at its display).

The Microserver takes around 35 Watts with two hard drives and a small
SSD aboard. The Pi consumption will be tiny, and by the time I need it,
I will probably be able to afford terabyte SSDs, they're down to about
£100 now.

--
Joe