Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On 7/6/19, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2019-07-05, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 09:27:29PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Some users are always fearful of new technology. They find all sorts of
>>> ways to rubbish it, usually without any strong technical grounds but by
>>> an appeal to tradition and emotion.
>>
>> Some other people always try to skirt a sound technical argument by
>> reducing dissenting standpoints to psychological "reasons", e.g.
>> "resistance to change".
>
> You've offered no sound technical arguments whatsoever against avahi
> that I have seen.  In fact, you often seem to find it quite irresistible
> to pipe up with the fuzziest stuff at the fuzziest moments (like
> expressing for the umpteenth time here your OT detestation of Google et.
> al. and the vast conspiracy you believe is behind them all).
>
> The part you snipped above I believe opined that avahi was "an accident
> waiting to happen" with nothing of substance to support that view. Is
> that your idea of sound argumentation?

"an accident waiting to happen" was from me and I also gave the rfc
for mdns, so that's hardly "nothing of substance to support that
view."  If you're having trouble finding the rfc, it's here
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762

I have a dns server, so I don't need "the ability to perform DNS-like
operations on the local link in the absence of any conventional
Unicast DNS server."  Others might need that ability and so their
risk/reward answer will be different than mine.

In any case, you have a link to the rfc now and can make your own
informed decision.

Regards,
Lee