Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On 7/5/19, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 05 Jul 2019 at 04:33:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 04 July 2019 16:42:11 Brian wrote:
>>
>> > If nobody objects I would like to reword that statement. Many, many
>> > users will have avahi-daemon on their systems; a few won't. The idea
>> > that
>> >
>> >   > Not installing this software in the first place works even better.
>> >
>> > requires clarification.
>>
>> Aha! Took several more hours but I found the SOB screwing my static
>> network!  Soooo....
>
> I was rather hoping someone would clarify why not having avahi-daemon
> in the first place was a good thing in general.

avahi-daemon is the thing that does multicast dns - right?  I think
using mDNS is an accident waiting to happen.  The other viewpoint
would be RFC 6762:

1.  Introduction

   Multicast DNS and its companion technology DNS-Based Service
   Discovery [RFC6763] were created to provide IP networking with the
   ease-of-use and autoconfiguration for which AppleTalk was well-known
   [RFC6760].

Regards,
Lee