Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Thursday 04 July 2019 16:42:11 Brian wrote:

> On Thu 04 Jul 2019 at 22:05:09 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> > > Why? It's advice I decided for myself 10 or more years ago after
> > > seeing constant reports of zeroconf bugs in various OSes and kit,
> > > and realising that sort of thing was also running on my Linux
> > > machines. The whole idea of automagically setting up networks just
> > > sounds like a problem and security hole waiting to happen. So I
> > > decided to nuke it from orbit, it was the only safe thing to do.
> >
> > As always, all generalizations suck. Some do avahi, others don't
> > (full disclosure: I am in the "don't" camp, as many may have guessed
> > :-)
>
> If nobody objects I would like to reword that statement. Many, many
> users will have avahi-daemon on their systems; a few won't. The idea
> that
>
>   > Not installing this software in the first place works even better.
>
> requires clarification.

Aha! Took several more hours but I found the SOB screwing my static
network!  Soooo....

Here is your Clarification: I used apt to purge avahi-daemon which
took nsswitch with it, no help on networking restart, killed dhcp,
restart unaffected, killed dhcpd5, restarted networking and
everything works like it is supposed to.  Crawls the net like a pro.

ip a out for eth0 now:
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:27:eb:d3:47:2d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.71.12/24 brd 192.168.71.255 scope global eth0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

ip r out for eth0 now:
pi@picnc:/ $ ip r
default via 192.168.71.1 dev eth0 onlink
192.168.71.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.71.12

Just one fly in this ointment, can't update via apt, repos are locked
until 12d ahead for one server, and 10d ahead for the other.

pi@picnc:/ $ sudo apt update
Get:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease [25.1 kB]
Reading package lists... Done
E: Release file for http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/dists/buster/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 12d 21h
12min 47s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.
E: Release file for http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/dists/buster/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 10d 12h 43min
27s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.

So what sort of a surprise are they fixing to throw at us this time?

Anyway, now I know what to do to get that stuff out of my thinning hair.

And I can do it while the u-sd card is still in the writer gizmo before
its ever plugged into the pi.

Heck, maybe running on buster, I can get RealtimePi to build me a
4.19.50-rt-v7 kernel?  'Spose?  ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis