Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-07-05 12:54:05)
> Its not quite that simple on the arm's. You do the install there by
> dd'ing the complete filesystem image to the boot media, usually a
> u-sd, so you get that crap regardless and must physically remove it
> before a staticly defined, hosts file based network that has not had a
> functioning dhcpd server even in my original 1998 install of red hat
> 5.0 will work.

Please stop speading misinformation about how Debian is installed.

Official way to install Debian is using debian-installer, also for
boards using U-boot.  See e.g. the user notes for Allwinner-based boards
at
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Install_Using_Debian-Installer

It is true that you can leave it to others to prepare an installation
for you, so that you only need to dump their pre-installed image onto
your boot disk device - e.g. as done with the preview image for
Raspberry Pi offered at https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi3.

It is also true that you can have others make a derivative of Debian and
offer you that as a pre-installed image - e.g. as done by Raspbian and
Armbian projects.

The "crap" you get using unofficial pre-installed images is not on
Debian but on those pre-installing and on you using those instead of
Debian.

 - Jonas