Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Friday 05 July 2019 07:29:52 Tixy wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-07-05 at 06:54 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 05 July 2019 02:56:39 Reco wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Easy. You don't understand what the software does (Gene's here),
> > > or you don't need its functions (I'm here) - you just do not
> > > install it. You don't fight with it, you don't try to "disable" it
> > > in myriad ways, and you do not build assorted kludges alongside of
> > > it - you do not install it, simple as that.
> >
> > Its not quite that simple on the arm's. You do the install there by
> > dd'ing the complete filesystem image to the boot media, usually a
> > u-sd,
>
> That may be the simplest way, but not the only way. You could boot the
> installer and install the OS from scratch.
>
> > so you get that crap regardless and must physically remove it
>
> [...]
>
> That's the price you pay for having the convenience of using prebuilt
> images. The alternative of using Debian's installer would have it's
> own headaches of trying to work out how to run it, then after to
> install and get working the non-free drivers for graphics (and wifi?).
> And no doubt there are other mods needed to get things working
> properly for a particular board, e.g. getting kernel updates
> installing correctly.
>
> So, prebuilt images with networking choices that don't suit you is
> probably the lesser of the two evils ;-)

Thats an conclusion I'm forced to come to also. To that end I'd suggest a
script and man page describing the scripts function is to rip out that
stuff.  That way there would be a one shot fix for the case where its
booted into a hosts file based network that has no dhcpd servers, one
could even offer to do this on first boot. In the event the installer
gives it the ok to clean house, the house cleaning should include
itself.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis