Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Friday 05 July 2019 07:34:42 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-07-05 12:54:05)
>
> > Its not quite that simple on the arm's. You do the install there by
> > dd'ing the complete filesystem image to the boot media, usually a
> > u-sd, so you get that crap regardless and must physically remove it
> > before a staticly defined, hosts file based network that has not had
> > a functioning dhcpd server even in my original 1998 install of red
> > hat 5.0 will work.
>
> Please stop speading misinformation about how Debian is installed.
>
> Official way to install Debian is using debian-installer, also for
> boards using U-boot.  See e.g. the user notes for Allwinner-based
> boards at
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Install_Using_Deb
>ian-Installer

I have looked at that page, hoping to see some mention of the pi's since
the allwinner doesn't appear in their advertising as a hugely important
detail, and I've had rather a zoo full of arm based boards here. But the
pi wasn't mentioned so I went on my way. I'm not even sure all the pi's
are allwinner based.

> It is true that you can leave it to others to prepare an installation
> for you, so that you only need to dump their pre-installed image onto
> your boot disk device - e.g. as done with the preview image for
> Raspberry Pi offered at https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi3.

Does it actually work?

> It is also true that you can have others make a derivative of Debian
> and offer you that as a pre-installed image - e.g. as done by Raspbian
> and Armbian projects.
>
> The "crap" you get using unofficial pre-installed images is not on
> Debian but on those pre-installing and on you using those instead of
> Debian.

This may be true, but how long will it take to get the new, faster video
drivers into your official version? Or will they ever get in?

>  - Jonas

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis