Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 06:54:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> Its not quite that simple on the arm's. You do the install there by
> dd'ing the complete filesystem image to the boot media, usually a u-sd,

so far, so good...

> so you get that crap regardless and must physically remove it before a

That is not true: Raspbian, for example, has a "normal" Debian repo at
https://archive.raspbian.org. With debootstap, schroot and Qemu you can
build a customized Raspbian system. The firmware (i.e. the binary stuff
needed for the VideoCore IV "co"-processor plus the kernel images can
also be had at https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware.git.

With all that you can build a viable image to "burn" on an SD card, all
from the confort of your powerful desktop machine.

I know because I've done it. My writeup is still pretty incomplete, not
yet fit for publishing, but others have written about it:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/78232/install-base-raspbian-from-repository-not-using-an-image/
https://blog.kmp.or.at/build-your-own-raspberry-pi-image/

How do you think the Raspberry Pi founadion builds its images?

Cheers
-- tomás