Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 09:42:11PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Thu 04 Jul 2019 at 22:05:09 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

Oh, it seems that I've touched a nerve. My apologies just in case.

> > > Why? It's advice I decided for myself 10 or more years ago after seeing
> > > constant reports of zeroconf bugs in various OSes and kit, and
> > > realising that sort of thing was also running on my Linux machines. The
> > > whole idea of automagically setting up networks just sounds like a
> > > problem and security hole waiting to happen. So I decided to nuke it
> > > from orbit, it was the only safe thing to do.
> >
> > As always, all generalizations suck. Some do avahi, others don't (full
> > disclosure: I am in the "don't" camp, as many may have guessed :-)
>
> If nobody objects I would like to reword that statement. Many, many
> users will have avahi-daemon on their systems; a few won't.

[1] says that half of the Debian users participating in popcon have
avahi-daemon installed. Your assertion that "don't camp" is a minority
is off. That's a first.

Second, contrary to the popular thinking here, the world does not start
and does not end with GNOME and x86 along with the CUPS installed.
And while avahi enhances CUPS' usability indeed, it has little
usefulness otherwise.

Third, whatever good avahi does is limited to a single L2 network
segment by the very definition of how it works. This particular problem
shows it BTW.

> The idea
> that
>
>   > Not installing this software in the first place works even better.
>
> requires clarification.

Easy. You don't understand what the software does (Gene's here), or you
don't need its functions (I'm here) - you just do not install it. You
don't fight with it, you don't try to "disable" it in myriad ways, and
you do not build assorted kludges alongside of it - you do not install
it, simple as that.

[1] https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=avahi

Reco