Re: Why choose Debian on server

On Mon 07 Jan 2019 at 14:37:30 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Mon 07 Jan 2019 at 18:21:07 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> > On Sun 06 Jan 2019 at 18:13:58 -0600, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > BTW if this Screenshot method is meant to yield a "printable"
> > > document, I haven't yet figured out how to print it sensibly.
> > > $ lp -d PDF very-long-image.png   gives me the image on one page,
> > > and looks, as it happens, like the sort of output that FF sometimes
> > > gives when printing articles: a narrow column of minute text.
> >
> > To nitpick, the claim was that the Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange page
> > was printable. Whether the marks on paper satisfied a user in all
> > regards wasn't touched on until now.
>
> I think it's reasonable to demand a certain level of legibility.

Indeed. That is why I am looking at printouts from Firefox and lp which
nobody with reasonable eyesight would have any trouble reading.

> > For me, printing the screen image obtained from my chosen page from
> > the Print Preview of FireFox gave an acceptable output with a Custom
> > Scale. It helped to choose Landscape mode.
>
> The landscape mode changes the output from a very tall image printed
> on a portrait page to the same image printed across it instead,
> reducing the scale by the golden proportion.
>
> > 'lp -d.....' benefits from fiddling with the scaling= option and from
> > orientation-requested=4.
>
> This gets very involved. Having tried feeding convert with the image,
> I see that it can produce a pretty faithful PDF which suffers only
> from the usual problem of being overtall.

Printing from Firefox is hardly involved. Basically, choose the scaling.
Forget about lp; most people never use it directly.

> If I was going to indulge in this very often (which I'm not) I think
> it would be worth writing a script to run convert on page-size slices
> of the image, outputting them as PDFs, and collate them into a
> conventional multipage document with pdftk. It would be fairly simple
> to compute the y-size by ratioing the x-size according to the paper
> regime, and even allow for some overlap between pages (because one
> doesn't know where to slice in between lines of text).

Sounds more involved than using lp.

> PS what's a backdoord malward?

Pass.

--