Re: Why choose Debian on server

On Sun 06 Jan 2019 at 16:53:03 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Sun 06 Jan 2019 at 10:28:55 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> > > Two questions then, Brian: Where in the FF menu's does one find this
> > > magic key combo documented?
> >
> > I was under the impression that taking screenshots was under the
> > control of the window manager, so the key combinations might be quite
> > different for other users.
>
> No. FF uses SHIFT+F2.
>
> > For example, my fvwm uses Shift-F2 for speaker-volume-down because the
> > Lenovo-W10 system chose to engrave {Speaker]- on the key.

Yes, my Shift-F2 ≡ your SHIFT+F2.

But having released fvwm's hold on this key combination, I can see
that pressing it does now give me a prompt at the foot of the window.

However, the simple way (for me) seems to be a right-click in the page,
and "Take a Screenshot" is the last menu item. The image of the full
page appears in the default download location, and has its name
subsequent shots labelled with (1) like wget does it. Not the most
elegant name (they sort badly) but sufficient. I much prefer not
having to type.

So thanks for pointing out that tool. It's complements my ^A method of
getting the text, and my scrot methods for the window image.

> > But if FF can take a screenshot itself, I would hope that you get
> > the whole page, not just the whole window (which is all the WM can
> > give you, of course) because configuring an application like scrot
> > can give you *much* more functionality.
>
> There is no "if" about it; your hopes would also be fulfilled.

I shall have to think about ways of handling PNGs that can be tens of
thousands pixels in height.

> > > And pray tell, where does it stash this .png? FF it seems, goes out of
> > > their way to select where it stashes a downloadable file. Its instructed
> > > to ask me, but rarely does.
> >
> > # find / -type f -mmin -10
> >
> > for files created in the last 10 minutes, say.

> > > Good to know.
> >
> > Yes, but some of the advice given seems to come with a lot of attitude.
>
> Don't understand this. You would have to explain.

Blaming FF's inability to create usable PDFS on users' incompetence,
blaming reluctance to use Chrome/ium on FF users' laziness or
bewilderment, name calling and so on.

BTW if this Screenshot method is meant to yield a "printable"
document, I haven't yet figured out how to print it sensibly.
$ lp -d PDF very-long-image.png   gives me the image on one page,
and looks, as it happens, like the sort of output that FF sometimes
gives when printing articles: a narrow column of minute text.

Cheers,
David.