Re: Multiple host names for a single server?

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 4:11 PM Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:> Hi Tom,
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:42:28AM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:24 AM john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
> > > Any reasons why you can't use 'cname' record?
> >
> > Um, you're right
>
> Though do note that the right hand side of MX and NS records should
> not point to a CNAME alias (RFC 2181 ง10.3)น. Your examples included
> "mail" and "ns1" which often feature in MX and NS records.
> น Thought they often end up working anyway, contrary to RFCs.

Thanks, Andy. This has always been a confusing area for me.  When I
get a "practice" mail and dns setup ready I will check back here with
specifics and see what all respondents think.

Best regards,

-Tom