Re: Why choose Debian on server

On Sun 06 Jan 2019 at 10:37:48 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 06 January 2019 10:17:16 Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > Please be nice - I am not lazy - I have Chromium, but I do not want
> > > to use it. I like FF more and I can not accept the argument
> > > regarding 1 page printing in FF, because other sites do not have the
> > > problem, hence it is doable to overcome the issue from within the
> > > site (perhaps css definitions - I do not know what exactly the issue
> > > is and I do not care). If site developers may embed 100s of lines of
> > > code to check browser and version and can adapt their sites to IE,FF
> > > and Chromium the least, they could also take care of this "feature",
> > > so lazy is not me, but the one that does not care, test or provide
> > > proper support for printing from within FF. This is my opinion only,
> > > you may accept or not... and I agree with Gene - stackexchange is
> > > phony in their philosophy, but it is their right to be so and my
> > > right to qualify it as such. OF course you have the right to have a
> > > different opinion and I respect this.
> >
> > Strictly speaking, the problem does not arise due a problem in the
> > printing system. Firefox produces a PDF before dispatching it for
> > printing and that PDF is not a true representation of the web page.
> >
> > Whether the issue is tackled by Firefox or at the stackexchange end
> > is immaterial; this will take time. Meanwhile, there is an elderly
> > user who had hoped to read and absorb the material today while eating
> > his free lunch.
> >
> > Maybe he would like to use SHIFT+F2 with Firefox (I have Quantum) and
> > take a screenshot of the whole page.
>
> Two questions then, Brian: Where in the FF menu's does one find this
> magic key combo documented?

I was under the impression that taking screenshots was under the
control of the window manager, so the key combinations might be quite
different for other users.

For example, my fvwm uses Shift-F2 for speaker-volume-down because the
Lenovo-W10 system chose to engrave {Speaker]- on the key.

But if FF can take a screenshot itself, I would hope that you get
the whole page, not just the whole window (which is all the WM can
give you, of course) because configuring an application like scrot
can give you *much* more functionality.

> >   screenshot filename.png --fullpage
>
> And pray tell, where does it stash this .png? FF it seems, goes out of
> their way to select where it stashes a downloadable file. Its instructed
> to ask me, but rarely does.

# find / -type f -mmin -10

for files created in the last 10 minutes, say.

> > Use TAB to complete and move along the command line. The file produced
> > is named filename-fullpage.png and is, of course, printable.
>
> Good to know.

Yes, but some of the advice given seems to come with a lot of attitude.

Cheers,
David.