Re: Recommended debootsrap tutorials

On Fri 14 Dec 2018 at 04:56:11 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 12/13/2018 01:51 PM, deloptes wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > So why not install minimal debian and try removing what you won't need.
> > I get around 100MBs to be able to do something useful with it.
> > There is i.e. Slax (with minimal TDE inkl. GUI) and is about 350MB image.
> > You can boot your PC and do something useful.
> >
> > So what is the goal of your exercise? Personal?
> >

> You might say personal exercise of the cerebral variety.
>
> As I've said:
>
> > As some of my interest was focused on finding out just how small a
> > useful Debian system could be, I was pointed towards debootstrap. > I
> > didn't have needed background at that time.> ...> My interest has
> been rekindled. I wish to understand debootstrap.
> > To that end I do a minimalist bootable Debian installation.
>
> Debootstrap is powerful. It can be used:
> 1. in any Linux
> 2. to install any Debian release
> 3. to install to any architecture

Correct.

> Notice a repeated 3-letter word ;}
>
> The "tutorials" I found tried to be all things to all people.

Appendix D.3 in the installer manual doesn't seem to do such a bad job.

> Notice a repeated 3-letter word ;}
>
> Think of my "problem" as an end of course lab practical which might be
> phrased as:
>     Using you current machine with any Debian debian release installed
>     and access to a suitable repository, use dedbootstrap to do a
>     minimalist [1] bootable install to another partition.
>

> [1] https://www.thefreedictionary.com/minimalist

Mmm. "minimalist" is a moving target. Do I really need both nano and
vim.tiny? Why bother with ifupdown when systemd is there or no network
is required? Ditto for isc-dhcp-client. libapparmor1, rsyslog, tasksel?
I'm fairly sure the machine will boot without any of these present.

Do I pass the end of course lab practical?

--
Brian.