Re: systemd+anacron breaks cron jobs

On 12/5/18, Kamil Jońca <kjonca@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What is other tool to make USER automated, cyclic tasks?
>>

>> I learned of "apt-cache search" a LONG time ago. One of my Top 5 tools
>> I use A LOT every week. What I did this time was first run "apt-cache
>> show anacron" because that was in the subject line. That shared
>> "command scheduler" as an early part of the description so I ran with
>> that keyword phrase:
>>
>> +++ BEGIN OUTPUT +++
>>
>> $ apt-cache search command scheduler
>> anacron - cron-like program that doesn't go by time
>> kalarm - alarm message, command and email scheduler
>> libnet-openssh-parallel-perl - run SSH jobs in parallel
>> python-axiom - Python object database
>> task-spooler - personal job scheduler
>>
>> +++ END OUTPUT +++
>>
>> Not much but does serve as an example. Kalarm... I think I tried that
>
> Ekhem. kalarm is kde dependent. Whole discussion is about tool which do
> not depend on user login ...
> The rest of result  is not worth comenting on ...

Sorry about that. I didn't catch that part (I skipped 17 emails and
only read the last one, oops!), but I do fully understand. I just
tried a Kalarm install. It wants to bring about 35MB of other things
in along with. I don't remember non-cron alarm-clock-applet being that
hefty, but it's possible that it would be for someone else depending
on what's already installed on their own setup.

> Yes, I did not search extensively. When (ana)cron exist and they fill my
> needs, why should I waste my time?
> Recently systemd aggressively try to take more and more jobs, but it is
> not quite ready for one-to-one replacement of those[1].
>
> KJ
>

> [1] I am quite happy using systemd as init replacement, but why these folks
> want to put there timer, dhcp-client and so on?

You never know. As things progress, maybe your chatter will inspire
someone who's looking for a nice tech class project or something. I
see requests for ideas like that on regular occasion across various
lists.

PS Now that I say that, I see tech posts all the time that are
consistently too timely to the topics brought up here. It's good
stuff. *waving at those folks > I SEE YOU PEEKING!* :D

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *