Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 at 23:01, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I have no desire nor need for a traditional LAN.

Wanting to transfer or share data between machines, while simultaneously
declaring the above, appears inconsistent.

I don't know what a "traditional LAN" is, so I wonder what you mean by those
words, and what happened to create your attitude that you wish to avoid
whatever it is.

Networking was invented to optimise the requirement of transferring or
sharing data
between machines. Today, TCPIP is is simple to configure, in both software
and hardware. The hardware is inexpensive. The configuration scales easily:
connecting one PC to one other PC is pretty much the same as connecting
one PC to the entire internet.

I write this because I feel it's likely that that people's interest in
assisting you
here will wane if you appear to reject well-known, simple, widely used even
by simpletons, best-practice for obscure reasons.

In the Debian installer you simply choose to use DHCP (if you have a ISP
router modem that provides it) or specify some simple static network address
values. The installer does the rest. Or you can do it yourself later,
it's simple.

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 00:33, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to use the cached data on another machine?

When doing a new Debian install, the very first thing I do in the installer's
expert mode is to configure it to use my local package cache on the
machine next to it, and connect an ethernet cable between them. Bingo.

> What should I be reading?

man 5 interfaces, if you wish, or just answer the questions in the installer.
And once you get that working ...

1) For package caching:
approx or apt-cacher or apt-cacher-ng

2) For transferring data:
rsync
scp

3) To use the terminal on one machine to control another:
ssh

Debian is a modern miracle that I am grateful for every day. And there is
a vast amount of expertise accessible on this mailing list. Typically the
advice and assistance given here is an excellent guide to good practice,
robust systems, and building useful, rewarding skills.