Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> > > LAN generally requires Ethernet. My second most used machine does
> > > not have a physically available Ethernet port.
> >
> > Ethernet doesn't require cables though.  However the secondary bit
> > that you cannot (will not?) add WiFi to the secondary (tertiary?)
> > machines does throw a wrench into the works.
>
> It's about time some invented a WiFi device which plugs into a USB
> port.

Not needed, you can buy such a dongle from netgear for at least half a
decade or longer. I was out of ports on the 4 port in the shop, so I
bought one, moved an old router (running dd-wrt) out there and turned
its radio on, and rigged a teeny desk for my lappy so I could ssh into
the machines and write gcode in the comfort of a folding chair, then
exercise it while being able to see the machine move. But I had to turn
the radio off because it was also bridged to the main router, and thence
to the backbone.  One of my neighbors got by the simple ssid, and used
80 gigs of my bandwidth one month so the radio got turned off and I now
have it hardwired when its out there. So now the radios stay off unless
one of my boys brings in a smartphone and needs a connection.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)