Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On 10/15/2018 04:09 AM, David wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 at 23:01, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

I have no desire nor need for a traditional LAN.

Wanting to transfer or share data between machines, while simultaneously
declaring the above, appears inconsistent.

I don't know what a "traditional LAN" is,

Quoting webopedia.com, "A local-area network (LAN) is a computer network that spans a relatively small area." The sticking point is an unstated assumption - a LAN connects two *OR MORE* computers. I wish to connect *EXACTLY* two computers {for which an RS232 null modem is _topologically_ an excellent picture}.

so I wonder what you mean by those
words, and what happened to create your attitude that you wish to avoid
whatever it is.

[For goals/environment - see end of post]

[snip]

I write this because I feel it's likely that that people's interest in
assisting you here will wane if you appear to reject well-known, simple,
widely used even by simpletons, best-practice for obscure reasons.

When I ask questions I try {and evidently fail} to narrowly describe the specific "factoid" desired. The confusion arises from the assumption that I'm working on a single project. I have several, some with mutually contradictory goals.

[snip]

Now to a backgrounder.
Why use Linux and Debian in particular?
I got tired of Micro$soft thinking they knew more about my needs
than I did. I went looking for an "ideal OS. Asking for advice I was
pointed to Ubuntu finding Debian to be a better fit. Emdebian would
have been a good fit for my preferences if it was still current.

I found exploration of preseeding valuable for minimizing footprint
and having the packages I needed without the "clutter" of packages
of no interest nor use. I still have a mindset suggesting Emdebian.

I have a dormant project from that era to create a script to asking
questions to create a preseed configuration file - there was once a
website aimed in a similar direction encouraged me.

My environment
60" X 30" folding table
4 laptops with multiple configurations of multiple Debian releases.
1 desktop with WinXP Pro and 3 configurations of Debian Stretch.
{WinXP allows me to use some apps but requiring excessive effort to
move to a Linux machine. One is reported to not cooperate with wine.}

No more than 2 computers can be physically accessed at the same time.
The only common communication *hardware* is USB 2.0 .

There are some older tower type desktops in a back room whose only
bi-directional communication hardware is RS232. [being saved for a low
priority project]

I have an 8-port switch but no physical space for it.
I connect to the internet via a USB connected T-Mobile Hotspot.
WiFi is disabled as it is a possible security problem contributing
to unnecessary spectrum pollution.