Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On Wednesday 10 October 2018 11:18:46 David Wright wrote:

> On Wed 10 Oct 2018 at 10:52:10 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> I think the remark was a sarcastic aside.
>
> > > And that reminds me that there are also somewhat similar devices
> > > that plug into a USB port and provide (in my case) 4 more USB
> > > ports and one RJ-45 Ethernet port.  I bought a couple of those on
> > > eBay (surely from the far east) for less than $10 each a few years
> > > ago.
> > >
> > > I use them to connect tablets without Ethernet ports to my LAN.
>
> The OP has indicated awareness of such devices and has eschewed them.
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/06/msg00418.html
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/06/msg00435.html
>
> I have no idea how to interpret "*DOES NOT* have a _physically_
> accesible Ethernet port" in
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/10/msg00302.html
>
> > Now I've got some little gismo from netgear that IIRC
> > cost a bit over 30 USD that plugs into the usb port adjacent to the
> > rj45. No longer in use as I had to turn that routers radio off for
> > lack of access security. A neighbor was using 2.5x my own net
> > bandwidth/month thru it. And they might not have realized they were.
> > I've no neighbors smart enough to know, or care. Probably a
> > smartphone, which will grab any signal it can get. Shrug.
>
> Do you mean that smartphones can crack WPA2 without its owner even
> being aware of the fact? (You've posted abut this incident several
> times.)

Maybe David, I could cancel that lease, and it was back by the time it
could refresh the screen but I'll not lay my hand on the good book. That
old router may not even have been aware of wpa2. Very little security if
any. Old old netgear, made long before there was wifi in every neighbors
house. Currently holding down a walmart plastic sack (from the inside)
in the garage. Ought to have a 4 lb hammer massage before I toss it in
the trash trailer for recycling.  Not enough memory to be reflashed with
dd-wrt. Cannot turn the radio off, it comes back up with the next power
bump. Worthless to me. Good only for someone a mile or more to the next
farmhouse. This isn't that place although I can toss a clod of clay out
of the city limits from my front yard. I think, my arm is getting tired,
its 84 yo like the rest of me. :-[>

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)